Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cleared for surgery

Kaylee was cleared by her pediatrician today for her procedure. We will be checking in to the hospital on Monday at 10:30 and her procedure will be at noon. It should last about 45 minutes and then she will be in recovery. Starting to get nervous now!!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 26th

So today we met with the head radiologist at Childrens Hosptial. She is very confident that she will be able to remove Kaylee's tumor (now called a lymphatic malformation) with a certain injection in to the tongue. She is scheduled for April 26th. The procedure will be about 45 minutes long and she will be in recovery after that and should be able to go home that night. The only discomfort she will have is that her tongue will be swollen out of her mouth for about a week :( We continue to hope and pray that this works and she won't have to go through anymore procedures.

Friday, April 9, 2010

YAY for 2nd Opinions!

So we finally got the call from Children's hospital today. GREAT NEWS! Kaylee is a candidate for an alternative to surgery. It involves an injection in to her tongue to shrink the tumor. It won't make it completely go away, however, it will make it small enough that if they do need to go in and remove the rest of it, it will not be as invasive. As of now, that is all we know until we meet with the doctor over at Children's on Thursday. God is good, very very good! Let's just hope this tumor responds as planned. I will update with more info next week.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tentative Surgery Date

As of right now Kaylee's surgery is scheduled for April 14th at 11AM at Medical City Dallas. This is tentative depending on our second opinion. We submitted her MRI scans to the head radiologist and surgeon over at Children's to see if they come up with something different. Otherwise, April 14th will be the day.

We had a great weekend celebrating my sister's wedding. It was nice to focus on something fun and positive!! It was such a beautiful wedding. Now it's back to reality.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Surgery it is....

Got the dreaded call tonight from Kaylee's doctor. Looks like she is going to have to go in for surgery. They will biopsy the tumor in her tongue, however, they are going to try and remove as much of the tumor as possible. Surgery of the tongue is very tricky. Right now the risks include her tongue swelling during or after the surgery and possibly losing part of her tongue. She will be in Medical City for a few days because they have the best ICU for her needs.

We need all the prayers we can get right now. I am trying to stay strong for my daughter but I'm a wreck inside. She's my whole world and I don't want her to have to go through this.

When I find out more I will post.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Kaylee Update

I started a blog so that everyone can keep up with this mysterious medical condition going on with Kaylee. Since everyone has so many questions I figured this was the easiest way.

Let's start from the beginning. About 6 weeks ago Kaylee got sick with a horrible cough, fever, earache and vomiting. The doctor put her on anti-biotics because she saw fluid in her ear and diagnosed her with an ear infection. However, when we showed her Kaylee's swollen tongue she got stumped. She called in another doctor to take a look at it and they basically told us just to watch it and let us know if it changes. Well, it didn't change, Kaylee was still throwing up, her ears still hurt so I took her back in. They referred us to an ENT who in turn referred us to ANOTHER ENT because he had no idea what was going on with her tongue. We finally met Dr. Werle. He immediately set us up to have an MRI done at Medical City Children's hosptial last Friday. Kaylee did great! Six hours later we were home from the hospital and then the waiting game begun.

Today was the day we were suppose to get some answers. Dr. Werle finally called. He didn't have much news, but he had some. Kaylee definitely has a tumor on her tongue. However, the radiologist has never seen anything like it. Dr. Werle was on his way up to Medical City to read the MRI scans himself and to also have another radiologist read the scans for another opinion. In addition to all of that, he is having his peers take a look at the scans and give their opinion.

Leave it to Kaylee to become a case study. Right now, I am just very thankful that her doctor is taking great care of her by getting several opinions and being very thorough. Surgery is very likely at this point, we just don't know what the surgery will be for.

Keep in mind that Kaylee is fine and is acting like her normal happy two year old self. She's still running around, playing and being silly. She is in no pain and is no longer vomiting. This makes this situation a lot easier to see her acting as a normal kid :)

Thank you for all of the prayers, emails, text messages and phone calls. They mean so much to us. We will keep you all updated throughout all of this.