Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Surgery it is....

Got the dreaded call tonight from Kaylee's doctor. Looks like she is going to have to go in for surgery. They will biopsy the tumor in her tongue, however, they are going to try and remove as much of the tumor as possible. Surgery of the tongue is very tricky. Right now the risks include her tongue swelling during or after the surgery and possibly losing part of her tongue. She will be in Medical City for a few days because they have the best ICU for her needs.

We need all the prayers we can get right now. I am trying to stay strong for my daughter but I'm a wreck inside. She's my whole world and I don't want her to have to go through this.

When I find out more I will post.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Kaylee Update

I started a blog so that everyone can keep up with this mysterious medical condition going on with Kaylee. Since everyone has so many questions I figured this was the easiest way.

Let's start from the beginning. About 6 weeks ago Kaylee got sick with a horrible cough, fever, earache and vomiting. The doctor put her on anti-biotics because she saw fluid in her ear and diagnosed her with an ear infection. However, when we showed her Kaylee's swollen tongue she got stumped. She called in another doctor to take a look at it and they basically told us just to watch it and let us know if it changes. Well, it didn't change, Kaylee was still throwing up, her ears still hurt so I took her back in. They referred us to an ENT who in turn referred us to ANOTHER ENT because he had no idea what was going on with her tongue. We finally met Dr. Werle. He immediately set us up to have an MRI done at Medical City Children's hosptial last Friday. Kaylee did great! Six hours later we were home from the hospital and then the waiting game begun.

Today was the day we were suppose to get some answers. Dr. Werle finally called. He didn't have much news, but he had some. Kaylee definitely has a tumor on her tongue. However, the radiologist has never seen anything like it. Dr. Werle was on his way up to Medical City to read the MRI scans himself and to also have another radiologist read the scans for another opinion. In addition to all of that, he is having his peers take a look at the scans and give their opinion.

Leave it to Kaylee to become a case study. Right now, I am just very thankful that her doctor is taking great care of her by getting several opinions and being very thorough. Surgery is very likely at this point, we just don't know what the surgery will be for.

Keep in mind that Kaylee is fine and is acting like her normal happy two year old self. She's still running around, playing and being silly. She is in no pain and is no longer vomiting. This makes this situation a lot easier to see her acting as a normal kid :)

Thank you for all of the prayers, emails, text messages and phone calls. They mean so much to us. We will keep you all updated throughout all of this.